People who are different change the world

15/05/2010

PKU AT SCHOOL What parents and kids need to know


Hi! My name is Cory and I am a high school freshman. There are often some problems with having PKU and attending school. Usually, you have to bring your lunch since the cafeteria doesn’t serve special meals for kids with PKU. I bring lo-pro pasta in a thermos, a juice pouch, fruit and some kind of low protein dessert. But sometimes there will be something I can eat in a lunchroom like a salad bar or some French fries. 
I’m not sure what your school has, but I avoid the vending machines at my school because I’m not sure how good or bad those drinks are. Some could easily contain aspartame.
I do not take my formula (Phenex 2) to school. I drink it before I go to school and when I come home and have it with a snack. Another problem can be birthday parties at school. I’ve never been in a circumstance where I couldn’t eat what was passed out as a birthday treat. These days, because of  peanut allergies, you can easily avoid treats with nuts. There is also the matter  of holidays and candy. When I come back with candy from Halloween, me and my parents go through and take out what I can’t eat. School field trips and summer camp can also be a problem when it comes to PKU, but my parents and I have always talked to teachers and camp counselors beforehand to let them know that I have a special diet and they are more than happy to prepare my special meals for me. I sometimes get asked why I have my lunch at school every day. I have no problem sharing the information that I have PKU because it’s something people with PKU can’t help. I’ve also found that when I explain PKU to people they accept it and I’ve even given presentations on PKU in class. Kids in my school have all kinds of things that make them different from everybody else and you shouldn’t let anyone make fun of you or pick on you because you have PKU. Tell them that you won’t pick on them for their differences, so why should they make fun of you. I’m a very unique person in the world because of PKU.
We’re all important.
Ler na íntegra  aqui .
 

1 comentário:

  1. Thanks for some other informative web site. The place else
    may I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect means?
    I've a venture that I'm simply now operating on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

    Feel free to visit my blog post ... home cellulite treatment

    ResponderEliminar